“How to clear disk space on a laptop?” This question always keeps search engines busy. Well, since we are now in modern-age, we cannot afford just to see our laptop running like a snail without doing something.
For you to do some quick fix when you see that your laptop’s hard drive is gradually failing, then follow these tricks.
How to Clear Disk Space on a Laptop: The Easy Ways
- Delete. This may sound like such novice advice, but this is the most that we can do to prevent our HDD from getting full quickly. Make it a habit to once in a while review your files and immediately delete the items that you no longer use. Always remember that the ‘delete’ key will spare you from buying a new HDD.
- Mac and Windows Tools. Whether you are using a Mac or a Windows operating system, you can always find a helping hand to clean the mess in the hard drive. For example, in Windows OS, you can clean all the saved temporary files by just navigating to System and Storage tabs. You have to identify the target drive (drive C is where the OS is installed the priority) and then hit Remove Files.
Another built-in cleanup utility of Windows OS is the “disk cleanup.” You can perform this by typing “disk cleanup” on the search box and when you see the cache command, hit it right away. Then, you will be prompted for the target of the cleaning. Just check all the files and folders that you intend to clean and then press OK to confirm. To ensure that the cleanup utility performs a thorough scan on all the data that can be removed, you just have to follow the Cleanup system files wizard.
Meanwhile, if your laptop has a Windows 10 OS, you can do all the cleaning automatically. Yes, all the cleaning utilities are made automatic in Windows 10. You just have to toggle to the Storage sense option tab then access the “Change how we free up space” tab. From there, you can decide what files that must be removed.
On the other hand, if you are using the MacOS, a similar cleanup utility is integrated into Sierra. You just have to open the Apple menu, then go to the About This Mac tab, and proceed to the Storage option. After which, click Manage to select the drives, folders, or specific path that you want to clean. Aside from having the power to clean up your laptop’s HDD, you can also monitor which applications or programs are consuming much of the disk space using this Mac built-in disk cleaning utility.
- Third-party Software. If you want to explore more ways to free up the space of your computer, the internet has endless options for you. However, be careful in installing a third-party software for cleaning your computer because you might just be adding tons of trash.
- Disk Defragmenter. This is another Windows utility which will aid in speeding up your computer. Well, this is not directly related to deleting files on your hard disk but is equally beneficial because this keeps the string of data in your HDD organized and logically in place.
- Uninstall Space-Manic Applications. You can surely save your computer’s HDD by uninstalling applications that consume a large space. Before doing this, you need to be systematic in determining the applications that must be removed. You can check the consumed storage of each application by navigating to the Control Panel. In the Control Panel, you can see the publisher of the application, date of installation, and of course, the amount of space used.
- Clear Caches and Temporary Files. While the Windows “Disk Cleanup” tool is capable of deleting unnecessary files, it cannot do intense wiping up of the temporary files or web engine’s caches. Temporary files, sometimes called as foo files, are files made to contain information while a new file is being created partially. Caches, on the other hand, are created after you access a particular website or program so that the next time you visit the same site or application, the phase of access will be a lot faster. If you are asking how to delete temporary files and caches, you can search for available software on the internet.
- Scan for Duplicated Files. Another reason why the HDD of your laptop gets stuck is due to several duplicated files. However, you can’t easily find these duplicates since they are hidden in difficult paths, even in the program files directory. The best that you can do is to install a duplicate-finder software online to get rid of unwanted files.
- Reduce the Space for System Restore. The Windows System Restore utility is indeed necessary if you want security for your files, but unfortunately, it will eat enormous space of your computer’s hard disk. Thus, if you think your primary concern is to have more gigabytes in your drive, you can just set the restore point to a certain limit.
- Advanced Tricks. Now, if you are really desperate in saving space in your computer’s hard drive, I will suggest you push through with the nuclear options. These methods are not recommended because this will entail a high risk in your OS and also it will disable some significant updates. If in case you are determined, you can disable hibernation and disable system restore.
Why disable hibernation? Windows has this hibernation option which will save the content of your computer from the time being. All the commands and applications that you are using will be installed in Random Access Memory (RAM) of your computer.
So, the next time your computer boots, it will flash the same processes when you left. Sadly, the hibernation interface consumes a lot of space. That’s why for the last resort, you can disable this utility.
These are the simple methods you can do to free some space in your computer’s HDD.
I hope these techniques answered your “how to clear disk space on a laptop” query.
Related Topic: How to Format Laptop and Reinstall Windows 10 in Easy Steps