For typist and writers, a laptop is a commodity.
Nowadays, due to the fast growing technology, writing does not literally involve pen and paper. It is a part of the digital media. For example, different types of websites are now the medium in bringing different forms of writings – blogs, news, and even eBooks.
There is nothing wrong in using the traditional platforms in writing, but the demands of the current trend require writers and even typists to be technologically adept.
Blogs, digital copies, and web contents are the “in.” To cope up with the demands of the industry, you must be capable in writing digitally.
For this reason, you must have the basic platform for digital writing, which is a computer.
5 Of the Best Laptops For Typing Table (Latest Models)
Why Laptop is What You Need?
There are different types of computer. Some of them are desktop computers, wearable gadgets, laptops, tablets, and smartphone. However, not all of them are suitable for typing.
The wearable devices are there just to make the communication easier. Sometimes, they have some features like alarm clocks, a pedometer, and the likes, but obviously, you cannot make a 10,000-word novel out of it.
Smartphones and tablets are basically designed for communication as well.
Although you can play games, browse the internet, and write basic documents, using them as a writing platform would be uncomfortable and exhausting.
You need a computer with a keyboard for more efficient and productive performance. Therefore, your only options are desktop computers and laptops.
Desktop computers are awesome platforms, but it requires you to be stationary. You cannot take them from places to places especially if you are travelling.
Moreover, it requires you to purchase external drives or subscribe to cloud storage services for transferring files. There is no way that you can take them for office or client presentations.
So, your best bet is a laptop. Honestly, laptops are more expensive than desktop computers, but it is worth it. They have amazing features.
You can take a laptop everywhere you want to. The public presentation will be easier because you can just bring it and show your output to your clients or superiors. Moreover, its performance is almost just the same as a desktop computer.back to menu ↑
What to Look for When Buying a Laptop?
Sizes and Types
Probably, the main reason why you are purchasing a laptop instead of a desktop computer is its portability. You can fit it inside a bag and it is ready to be taken everywhere.
However, it does not mean that a laptop of the same brand and model is more expensive if it is smaller. There are several factors affecting the price of this product.
What is important is to choose a laptop that can fit your lifestyle. If you are a traveler, go for the lightweight ones. Yet, you should also consider not just the size, but the other more important factors including the screen size and laptop type.
The recommended screen resolution is at least 1920×1080. With this kind of resolution, you can already be able to read contents on your screen easily. You do not have to scroll down frequently. Additionally, even if you stack the windows side by side, you can still read the contents.
Laptops are further divided into categories: ultrabooks, Chromebooks, netbooks, and desktop laptops. Knowing the difference of each would be helpful information to you as it may either speed up or hinder your productivity.
Ultrabooks run in low-powered processors, but they have awesome battery life. The keyboard is small so it is not an advisable platform for writers and typists. The screen size may reach up to 15 inches and weigh around 3 pounds. Ultrabooks are mainly for browsing and communication.
Chromebooks only function using the Chrome OS, but you can add more software from the chrome store. It is a low-end technology but you can still do the basic tasks especially for communication purposes, too. Its battery can last for up to five hours.
Still, using Chromebooks is not advisable. Mainly, it is because of the operating system and the limitations of the features that they can offer.
Netbooks are the most unadvisable ones. It runs on a low-end processor that makes even its basic functions slow, not to mention that the keyboard is small.
The only advantage is that it is extremely cheap. Like the others mentioned, it is only for browsing, communication, and writing emergencies.
Desktop laptops are the advisable ones. Its design is for business, gaming, or multimedia purposes. They have a spacious keyboard, so the writing would become faster and easier.
The only downside of it is that it is bulkier and heavier compared to the other laptop categories that were mentioned above. Yet, they are still a lot lighter than desktop computers.
The general rule is to buy the fastest laptop if you can afford it because it will save you a lot of time. On the other hand, if you are working on a budget, you must know which processor to choose.
A dual core is good enough for doing the basic tasks. Depending on what you need, the triple-core and the quad-core are even faster.
If you are on a tight budget and would only use your computer strictly for typing, internet browsing, and basic multimedia streaming, the dual-core must be enough. Otherwise, go for the triple core or quad core especially if you also do video or photo editing and 3D modeling.
When it comes to processor, you might have also heard people speaking i7, i3, and more, but unaware what they mean. The i7 processor is the fastest but pay attention to the core processors too because some of them are low-voltage chips which have a lower performance but longer battery life.
An i5 processor is still a good option. The newer the generation is, the better. However, if you are on a tight budget, the older generation can still do the job.
The i3 processor is only good enough if you would only use your computer for typing and other basic functions.
Moreover, avoid the Intel Atom, AMD E series, and AMD C series. Although Intel Atom is now usable in tablets, they are still far slower than the i7 processor. These processors are marketed to those who cannot afford to buy high-end laptops.
Random Access Memory (RAM)
Depending on your needs, if you frequently run tons of apps simultaneously, especially if these are videos, games, or images, then you would need a laptop with a higher RAM.
Do not go for something like 1GB and less than that. 2GB RAM is enough for typing and web browsing task. It is only advisable if typing and browsing is the only activities that you are planning to do on your computer although there might be instances that the functioning may slow down.
The recommended RAM amount is 4GB and higher. 4GB is enough to handle simple multimedia streaming and editing, web browsing, and office work. Buying a laptop with higher RAM is better and faster. However, expect that the price will also be higher.
If you can afford to buy a laptop with high RAM, make sure that it runs in a 64-bit OS to maximize its power.
Since we are talking about the best laptops for typing, then you must not forget inspecting the input devices too, especially the keyboard. If you can try to do a few typing on the shop just to get the feel of the keyboard, then do so.
Make sure that you are comfortable reaching each key because you will be working with this laptop for years after purchasing it.
Moreover, if there are instances that you should work on a task at night or in a dim light, choose a keyboard with a backlit feature. It will let you find the necessary keys for the novel or blog that you are working on.
There are two types of the laptop when it comes to battery. These two types are detachable and non-detachable. Detachable laptops, like the one that I am using, let you use it like a desktop computer. It is beneficial only if you are working stationary and does not go from places to places often.
The downside of having a laptop with a detachable battery is that it wears out the battery fast. It is not much of a problem if you can work on your laptop while it is plugged in.
The word of caution: remove a fully-charged battery from your laptop if you decide to work on it while it is plugged. It will even wear out the battery life at a faster rate.
If your laptop’s battery has been worn out because of frequent detachment, your only option is to find a replacement or plug it directly. Since my laptop’s battery has already been worn out and I always use my laptop plugged in, I can say that the real disadvantage of this type is experienced during the power outage.
If you do not want your battery to get worn out fast, go for a non-detachable type. Since you would not be frequently attaching or removing your laptop’s battery, then it would have a longer shelf life.
If in case that after several years of usage, your non-detachable laptop’s battery finally has worn out, do not attempt to remove or fix it yourself. Go to the manufacturer and ask for a replacement.
To learn about the number of hours the battery will last, what you can only do is see the manufacturer’s label. However, I do not say that you should expect that your laptop would stay up at the indicated label. It would also depend on the tasks that you will do.
If you would do the tasks that demand lots of power, then expect that your battery would drain fast. The manufacturer’s label is just the average based on the battery’s mAh rating.
Here is the general rule: the higher the mAh rating is, the longer the hours would be. However, be aware that it also depends on the number of watts that your laptop needs and the battery cell packs.
There are two kinds of graphics card that you need to know about: the integrated graphics processing unit (GPU) and dedicated GPU. Both has advantage and disadvantages.
In the integrated GPU, the graphics card is already in the motherboard. It does not have its own memory and only utilizes the power of your laptop’s memory. For this reason, it will not heat up your laptop fast, will not utilize a lot of power, and will cost less.
On the other hand, compared to the dedicated GPU, it provides less in performance. You can manage to work with this kind of GPU only when you will primarily use your laptops for typing, basic multimedia, and web browsing.
The dedicated GPU is for users who do more hardcore tasks like video editing, gaming, photo editing, 3D modeling, and the likes.
I suggest that even though you think that you do not need the dedicated GPU for now, still buy the one that has a dedicated graphics card. Nowadays, writing for the internet does not consist only of pure text, but also include the other forms of media. That is why you might even need to do photo editing and video editing too.
The downsides of the dedicated GPU include the price and power requirement. It can drain your laptop’s battery fast.
However, the advantage of the dedicated GPU is speed. Even though it requires lots of power, you can still finish your task in time because of its fast performance.
Ports and Disk Drives
Identify the activities that you will be doing after purchasing a laptop. Will you be using it for public PowerPoint presentations? Will you be taking projects that require file transferring through a flash drive? You can ask yourself more.
What I am trying to point out is that you will need a laptop with dedicated ports for those activities.
To save the files that you are working on and to get the software where you need to do your work, you need a space where you can save them. This space is called the hard drive. The amount of space for you depends on the type of files and software that you will use on your computer.
There are two types of hard drive: the solid state drive (SSD) and the hard disk drive (HDD). Each has benefits and disadvantages.
The SSD processes data at a faster rate and it needs less power. It does not have any moving parts. The only downsides are the price and its capacity to acquire data.
The HDD is an ideal backup drive. It is not as sleek as the SSD. HDD has moving parts that is why it can be noisy too. However, it can do the job and available at a cheaper price.
Generally, 250GB is already advisable for storing simple files and office software. However, if you want your computer to do even more than that, like if you want to watch HD movies and play high-end games, go for 500GB to 1TB hard drive space.
If you are on a tight budget, you can go for the 250GB hard drive and use external hard drive and cloud storage just in case it is not enough.
If I were you, I would go for the 1TB so there would be less hassle. I would not need to transfer files frequently because I could store my files in my laptop.
You would be spending a lot of money for a high-end laptop. It is just right to make the most out of it because you do not want it to go to waste. Therefore, you also have to check the warranty.
Just in case some parts of your laptop are defective, you can easily take it to the manufacturer and have them repair it without additional cost. Take note of the length of the warrant. Three years is good enough.
Also, look for the type of warranty if it is accepted internationally or locally. It is especially useful for travelers.
Wi-Fi Frequency Support
Wi-Fi is available at 802.11a, 802.11ac, or 802.11n. Both the 802.11a and 802.11ac can support the 5GHz, but it is an optional feature in 802.11n.
Honestly, Wi-Fi frequency is not really much of a problem. 2GHz and 5GHz can let you surf the internet just fine. Yet, if you want to get the faster speed, make sure that both your laptop and your Wi-Fi router support the 5GHz.
The 5GHz frequency offers less range but provides faster speed. Also, you will get less interference from other networks. 2GHz, on the other hand, offers average speed and longer range. However, interference from the other networks is possible.
It is just better if your laptop and Wi-Fi router can support the 5GHz because it will make your Internet search faster.
Follow these steps to learn if the laptop that you are eyeing for can support the 5GHz:
- Go to the Device Manager.
- Click Network Adapters.
- Right click on your adapter’s properties.
- Click the advanced tab.
- Click the property that mentions the 5GHz frequency in a drop-down menu.
Mine is REALTEK RT8723AE Wireless LAN 802.11 PCI-NIC; too bad that I have already purchased my laptop when I learned about the differences on Wi-Fi frequencies. According to my research, this adapter that my laptop has can only support the 2GHz.
On the bright side, I am still happy that I can still surf the internet, but it could be faster than that if I purchased the one that can support 5GHz.
Now that you are knowledgeable in this area, you have an option if the 2GHz is enough for you or if you will take advantage of the benefits of 5GHz frequency of Wi-Fi.
Take note that both your laptop and Wi-Fi router should support the 5GHz frequency. If one of them does not support this frequency, it will not work.
These additional features are optional. It does not directly affect your typing performance on your laptop.
It includes the camera, speaker, and audio. The best way to be satisfied with these features is to test them on the shop.back to menu ↑
Why Buy the Laptop That Can Provide the Best Features?
You may think that by now, you do not need the additional hard drive space, higher RAM memory, and a lightning speed processor, especially if you would buy a laptop only just for typing. Yet, the demands for the various media on the internet are high.
Writing for industries and the internet is not just pure text; one example is blogging. Plain text would only bore out your reader. You also have to be knowledgeable in graphics because there are times that you would need to incorporate images, videos, and the like.
Even if you are not in-charge of photo or video editing, there are times that you should store them in your computer. For this reason, you need a laptop with a higher amount of memory and graphics performance.
It would not only help you become versatile in your work, you can also do the other things on your computer. You can watch HD movies, store videos and music, create 3D models, and play high-end games.
back to menu ↑
How to Make Your Laptop Last Longer
Laptops are expensive. That is why it is important that you already know how to handle them with proper care after purchasing one.
- Use the battery less often:It is possible if you are using the detachable type of laptop. You can simply remove the battery and plug it like you are using a desktop computer. As much as possible, use your laptop that way. You do not have to wear out your battery fast because of frequent attachment or detachment and it will be a less hassle for you.
- Clean your laptop properly: Do the cleaning after turning it off. Use a microfiber cloth to clean the screen of your laptop. Wipe in circular motions. Do not clean it rigorously because the last thing that you do not want your laptop screen to have is scratches.For the keyboard, turn the laptop upside down and gently tap the back to get rid of the crumbs and loose dirt. Use a can of aerosol that you can buy from any laptop store. Make sure to read the labels before using it. As an alternative, you can use a soft-bristled brush to clean the gaps between the keys.
- Do not put drinks or food near your laptop: Your laptop is electronics. A spill of liquid can destroy your keyboard or even the motherboard.
- Use a laptop case: The laptop case allows you to carry your valuable properly.
Our 5 Choice of the Best Laptops for Typing
It seems like I do not need much explanation on MacBook Pro. Everyone knows the prestige and performance of this laptop.
People love its fast performance and quietness. Moreover, if you are looking for a laptop that would last for a long time, the MacBook Pro should be the first on your options.
It has been receiving positive reviews from its users because of its design, powerful display, long battery life, audio, and a lot more. It is close to perfect.
The only complaints include that the battery drains fast when you watch videos and the like.
- Sleek design: It is attractive and available in two colors. It is extremely portable because of its lightweight design.
- Good audio: Compared to other standard laptops, the MacBook Pro’s audio is several times better.
- Retina display: It is a unique feature of MacBook Pro. It makes the color display clear and vibrant. Texts are more readable.
- Fast speed: Due to the combination of its powerful RAM and processor, do not be surprised if MacBook Pro is lightning fast.
- Touch ID and Trackpad: It makes your laptop more secure. It also provides a spacious trackpad.
- Expensive: Due to its almost perfect feature, expect that the price is expensive especially the one with the Touch Bar feature.
- Plenty of incompatible apps, connectors, and software
- A lot of software is available to PC users but not with Mac users because the majority are into PCs.
- Lack of ports and slots: It has no memory card slot. It only uses USB-C ports.
Microsoft Surface Book
[amazon box=”B076J184LM” template=”horizontal”]
People love unique features including the surface pen and detachable screen. It is a must-have platform if you are looking for a 2-in-1 laptop. In addition to that, the battery life is commendable.
- Sleek design: It has a polished covering and a comfortable feel. The screen is detachable so you can use it like a tablet.
- Smooth writing using the surface pen
- Surface pen writing is comfortable and free from glitches.
- Awesome resolution: It has a native resolution of 3000×2000.
- Spacious trackpad: Due to the spacious trackpad, you would be able to do a lot of work fast.
- Expensive: It is more expensive compared to other products with the same features.
- No port on the tablet: The ports on the keyboard are incomplete.
Lenovo ThinkPad E470
[amazon box=”B07887KY3Z” template=”horizontal”]
A lot of people commend this laptop for its ability to help them in their tasks and businesses. They love the speed and almost all the features that the product has to offer. Some people may have a few difficulties in using the fingerprint reader but this is just a minor issue.
- Good design: The design is slightly different from its predecessor. It has different display hinges and the power button placement has changed. Also, it is lightweight and portable.
- Fingerprint reader feature: Although some people have difficulties in using this feature, it is still a unique Lenovo feature that can make your data and laptop more secured.
- Fast Wi-Fi connection: It can easily detect the availability of Wi-Fi.
- Awesome Display: It features its anti-glare display which is healthy for the user’s eyes.
- Spill-resistant keyboard:nIt makes your laptop more secured.
- No keyboard backlight:nYou will have to use it when there is light so you would see what you are doing. Using it at a dim light would be difficult.
- No Type-C USB port: This is a port type that allows faster data transfer.
[amazon box=”B0778Q9S15″ template=”horizontal”]
The MacBook Air is not as good as the MacBook Pro but still a high-end laptop. It is fast and virus infection is close to impossible. If you cannot afford the MacBook Pro, the MacBook Air is your cheaper option.
- Sleek design: It is thin and lightweight.
- Not as expensive as the other MacBook models
- It contains less powerful specs compare to MacBook Pro, so it costs less than the other models.
- Fast and efficient: Installation of software is fast.
- Less compatible software and devices: Only Apple-friendly and IOS-friendly apps, software, and devices can be installed. However, there might be a problem in installing further apps needed for your work.
- No keyboard backlight: It will be difficult for you to use this laptop at night or in a dim light.
- Only built for basic tasks: Its specs are not enough to handle hardcore gaming, 3D modeling, and video editing.
- Obsolete display specs: The display specs are less efficient compared to the other MacBook products. It is not a major problem if you just want a laptop for typing.
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon
[amazon box=”B079J59B77″ template=”horizontal”]
What most people love about the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon is that it is lightweight but fast. You do not have to wait for hours to install software with huge data because of its lightning speed. Moreover, the keyboard has a smooth feel.
The only problem that most users complain about is its poor battery light. Also, it heats up at a faster rate because there is no way to it cool down.
- Ports are almost complete: You can connect almost anything that you need from HDMI to micro sim.
- Less-quality trackpad : The trackpad is fine, but not as efficient as the other laptops.
- Need for a dongle: There is no way to use the Ethernet directly. You need a dongle to do it.
- Expensive compare to competitor products
- Other laptop brands of the same features may cost less.
- Heats up fast: There is no proper ventilation. The placement of the cooling holes is at the bottom. The screen corners bumps are too small to raise the laptop from the desk. Therefore, the laptop heats up easily.
Due to the demands of the industry nowadays, due to the widespread use of the internet and digital media, writers and typists need to acquire a dedicated platform to cope up with the trend. That is why a computer is an important tool that they can use to do the projects that they have to submit to their clients.
Yet, it must not be just any computer; they need something that is practical which is a laptop. There are also a few categories of laptops; that is why you have to select carefully. You have to be knowledgeable about the specs which include the hard drive space, RAM, Wi-Fi frequency, and more.
Laptops are expensive so you do not want to waste your money on something that would never last for years. It is an investment, and you expect it to provide you lots of value.
The laptop models and brands that I mentioned above are just suggestions. They are among the best but I am not saying that they are the only bests. You can do your own canvassing.
The laptops listed above are the laptops used and tested by professionals. A lot of people have already proved the high-quality performance of each of them.
As for my recommendation, if you have the money to splurge, why not go for the MacBook Pro, it is a laptop that I can describe as something that is close to perfect. It would last a long time compared to PCs because fewer people use it. It is not the usual target for viruses and malware.
However, if you are on a tight budget, I recommend that you carefully read my tips for buying a laptop. Take note of the specs and technical details that you would need for a laptop. Then, go to a computer shop and find a cheaper alternative that has these specs.
Also, you must not forget that you should take good care of your laptop to make it last for several years, and enjoy the return of your investment.
- Editor Rating
- Rated 5 stars
- 5 Of The Best Laptops for Typing Review and Buying Guide (2018 Update)
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified: